Sunday, March 31, 2013

Make Up For Ever HD Foundation Review

hey guys! just a quick happy easter to everyone, hope its a great day for all :) 

although my skin is rather clear and smooth, i do have a bit of redness and unevenness to it, so i usually throw on some bb cream or a light coating of foundation to balance it out. a balanced face is the most important part (as far as i'm concerned) to your makeup routine! today i am reviewing Make Up For Ever's HD Foundation... a holy grail (HG) product for many, many bloggers and makeup artists. 

MUFE's website describes this foundation using a "new generation of makeup.. invisible to hd cameras and the naked eye.. the HD foundation is oil-free, medium to full coverage which covers skin imperfections, while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life. its extremely fine texture is supple and easy to apply. enriched with moisturizing agents, it leaves the skin soft and radiant." (Make Up For Ever)

it comes in many shades, 25 to be exact, and is best applied with a sponge or a brush with nylon bristles. here is what i thought of it...


this particular foundation had been on my wish list for a long time, and although i did not believe i needed a medium to full coverage foundation, i bit the bullet and splurged ($42) on it. sephora has it ranked at a 4.4 out of 5, which sold me! however, the reviews i read through were all over the place. one person says it's "too blotchy and thick" and another exclaims the "light coverage, you're better off buying a bb cream." hmmmm okay.

in order to make sure i get my money's worth, i decided to politely ask a Sephora consultant to color match me. after a few trial and errors (my skin tends to go a bit neutral), i was matched up to 115 Ivory. it is the second to lightest color they have and is "for light skin with pink undertones." ah, i'm so pale!

so below i have the three step process on the back of my hand: pump out a dollop, smooth a little, smooth out completely. it really is a great color match for my skin!

just a bit!

smoooooth it out a tad

invisible!

so of course i have used this foundation since i have purchased it back in january, and feel like i can give you a fair review on how i feel about it. the color is perfect for my skin and the consistency of the foundation is surprisingly lightweight. however, i did have trouble applying this to my face and making it look perfect. even after switching my moisturizer (oil-free foundation and heavy moisturizer does not work together), it just never really sunk into my skin. regardless of how well it smoothed out on the back of my hand, it just did not have the same effect for my entire face. some days i thought it looked nice, others i just couldn't put my finger on what was going on. even with primer, it just clung onto any little dry spots i had on my face. i found it didn't cover as well as it promised, but still looked heavy on the skin. 

Overall Review: i wanted so badly to like this foundation, as i'd shelled out the money and heard great reviews. i was happy with their shade selection and imagine anyone will be able to find their perfect match. the bottle was made of lightweight plastic and the pump was easy enough to use, so that was a plus. however, the formula did not work well with my skin, even after a change in moisturizers and primers, so i simply cannot say it made my skin look the greatest. i did hear this happen to others, so maybe it only works on certain types of skin. sigh. still on the lookout for my holy grail foundation!

Rating: C


happy easter!!

No comments: